Friday, May 21, 2010

It's A Choice

I've had to make a difficult decision: I can't even turn on the computer until I read my Bible for the day.

Now that we have internet at the house, I found that way too much time is wasted "checking" things. I check the weather, my email, Facebook, the weather, the school lunch menu, my blog hits, research on an interesting idea/topic, the weather... It's amazing how I think the weather is going to change in 10 minutes, but i love it.
I was so close to becoming a meteorologist...


With all this time wasted I realized that reading my Bible was sliding further and further down the list. Not good. The Spirit also reminded me of a verse in Mark that talks about how Jesus dealt with a busy and hectic lifestyle. He had taught in the synagogue all day and then had healed a multitude of sick since sundown - since it had been the Sabbath (Mark 1:21-34). Mark 1:35 is the verse that came to me. "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, He got up, went out, and made His way to a deserted place. And He was praying there."

Jesus, after being exhausted from the day and evening before, made sure He put His Father as the first priority during the day. Even if it meant getting up very early and having to go a distance to find a quiet spot. Can't you just see Jesus sneaking past the sleeping masses, stepping carefully and quietly so as not to wake them? Any parent of toddlers knows exactly what that's like. Yet that is the choice He made. Did Jesus have the right to be sleepy and stay on the mat a few extra hours? Couldn't He have just said His prayers lying there? Sure He could, but then His full attention wouldn't have been with His Father.

I want my Father to know I choose to follow Him and hear what He has to say to me each day. That should be my first priority. If not hitting a simple computer button gets me one step closer to that goal, is it really such a difficult choice to make?

2 comments:

  1. That is so true - things that are fine can become a problem when they take too much of our attention. I know that I have trouble with this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *BAM*

    conviction

    Thanks, Tiffany!

    ReplyDelete