Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It's All French To Me

I am learning French.


The funniest thing to me is I always said that would be the last language I wanted to learn. No particular reason, I just didn't care for the sound of it as much. Gaelic was my first choice, though that doesn't seem to be coming up any time soon unfortunately.


Because of the mission trip my husband and I will be taking in October, our group decided to get some of the basics of the French language down since that is the predominate language. When beginning to listen to the Lesson 1 of 30 CD, I was overwhelmed with the task of learning a whole new language. I felt as though my mouth had been shot full of Novocaine and stuffed full of marbles! However, at the end of the lesson, I could "understand: Je comprends " and say a few simple sentences. Yea! And I had only listened to it 5 times...


As the definition of each phrase was explained to me, I found it interesting that what was a bunch of noises a few moments ago now had meaning. I could hear it and now comprehend. Ah! That is so like the things of the Spirit!



13 We also speak these things, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual things to spiritual people. 14 But the natural man does not welcome what comes from God's Spirit, because it is foolishness to him; he is not able to know it since it is evaluated spiritually. 15 The spiritual person, however, can evaluate everything, yet he himself cannot be evaluated by anyone. 16 For:
    who has known the Lord's mind,
    that he may instruct Him? 
    But we have the mind of Christ.
1 Corinthians 2:13-16


It's funny how we expect the world to act like they know Jesus Christ when there is no way they can truly understand without the help of the Spirit. It's really just a bunch of noise to them. It has no meaning. So our goal is not to make them behave in certain ways, but to introduce them to the best "language class" ever: Jesus Christ! Then as we learn together, our Tutor will teach us what to say. 


11 Whenever they bring you before synagogues and rulers and authorities, don't worry about how you should defend yourselves or what you should say. 12 For the Holy Spirit will teach you at that very hour what must be said.
Luke 12:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment