Thursday, May 20, 2010

Embarrassed

Don't you hate it when something goes terribly wrong? That's what happened to me yesterday. I had planned to play a small joke on someone to lighten their mood since they have had a lot going on in their life recently. However, being a woman, I had not thought of the possible implications, and in front of a group of men at church embarrassed myself and another poor, innocent young lady to no end. Ugh. I don't handle that well. I've been in a wretched mood ever since.

That, of course, is when God spoke to me. There is one aspect recently He had been telling me to give up which I hadn't. That played a part in this. I wouldn't have been there if I listened months ago. The amazing thing about God is that He can use our mistakes, that He warned us about in the first place, to teach us another lesson: I forgot how much I fear being embarrassed. Yes, it was a mistake, but honestly it wasn't that bad. But, boy can I beat myself up about it and give up on other things I shouldn't just to avoid being discombobulated. 

Then a friend posted this on her Facebook page this morning..
"And (if) My people...respond by humbling themselves, praying, seeking My presence, & turning their backs on their wicked lives, I'LL BE THERE ready for YOU: I'll LISTEN from heaven, FORGIVE 
their sins, and RESTORE their land to health."-
2 Chronicles 7:14 (MSG) 

I know this may not seem entirely appropriate for this situation, but I think it works. When we get embarrassed, the first thing we must do is discover the source. "Was I doing something that glorified God or not?" If we were, there is no reason to feel ashamed. We have stood firm for our Lord. "For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when He comes in His glory and that of the Father and the holy angels." Luke 9:26 

If we were not glorifying God, then there are some changes which need to be made. This is where 2 Chronicles 7:14 comes in. We must humble ourselves before the Lord....and He will forgive and restore us. I take this to mean our fragile egos as well. How amazing that He can cleanse us of embarrassment! 

Being a little embarrassed at times is good for us. It keeps our pride in check. But we must not dwell on it. We ask for forgiveness, learn our lesson, and then let Him keep it. 

1 comment:

  1. I think the joke was appreciated . . .even if it needed explaining - I think it did lighten the mood, as you intended! I think that person is very grateful to have such a friend as you . . . . willing to do "go out of your comfort zone," because you care so much!! I think this person now realizes you're a much, much dearer and closer friend to him than he realized you are, before last night . . . Just sayin' . . .:) You can take my word on this, BTW; I know the guy fairly well . . . and THANKS!

    ReplyDelete