Saturday, January 9, 2010

Such A Beautiful Place

Yesterday we took Lauren and Elijah to see the 3D version of Avatar. It's a stunningly beautiful film whether you like the story line or not- which we did. Not only was it fun to see the kids be enthralled with 3D effects, but as the movie progressed, to watch them get involved in it.

About a third of the way through the film two of the main characters get to fly to a new location called the Halleluia mountain range on the alien world Pandora. It is a surprisingly, spectacular location since parts of the mountains actually float in the air. During the scene one of the people in response to the beauty says a curse word, and I heard Elijah say aloud to himself, "Why are they saying bad words in such a beautiful place?"

That pierced my heart.

Here I had been earlier that morning praising God for the beauty and majesty of His creation. What He has made beautiful for us in this world, and yet I take it so much for granted. We all do: With the words that we say, the impatience that we express, and the annoyance with which we pridefully snub what He has created for us to enjoy and take pleasure in.

Psalm 139:14
I will praise You, because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, and I know this very well.


The point isn't that everything seems beautiful all the time, but to see the beauty in all things at least some of the time. Was the movie Avatar a great, Godly movie? No. In fact, if anything it teaches to worship Mother Nature. But that doesn't mean that I can't see the beauty and value in portions of it. I learned a great lesson from God through my son even though that was not James Cameron's intent.

How are you treating the beauty around you? Have you seen it lately?

Luke 12:27-28
Consider how the wildflowers grow: they don't labor or spin thread. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was adorned like one of these! If that's how God clothes the grass, which is in the field today and is thrown in the furnace tomorrow, how much more will He do for you - you of little faith?

1 comment:

  1. Out of the mouths of innocent children...oh how I wish that they could always be innocent! I just wish that more adults would learn from them!

    ReplyDelete