Monday, January 4, 2010

Getting Sick

I have a cold.

These past few weeks were so fun filled that I wore myself out. Thinking back on it, I've realized that this happens every Christmas. There is so much build up to the season itself, and then the whole week after we play games, stay up very late, and eat a lot of sweets while the boys are here. All that combined means I crash afterward: They left last night and I got sick tonight. Or as I say- God hit my reset button.

It's interesting that after we have pushed ourselves too hard, too fast, that we need a rest whether it fits into our schedule or not. The only choice we have then is whether to heed the warnings and slow down or plunge ahead with a hand full of pills to cover the symptoms while we continue to over do it.

It's the same thing with listening to the Spirit. God gives us warnings but it is up to us to pay attention to them- even when it's not in our schedule. If we ignore or rationalize what we are being told to do we become more and more sick, but this time it's not a runny nose and stuffy head. It's a hardened heart.

Hebrews 3:7-15
Therefore, the Holy Spirit says:
Today if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, on the day of testing in the desert, where your fathers tested Me, tried Me, and saw my works for 40 years. 
Therefore I was provoked with this generation and said, “They always go astray in their hearts, and they have not known My ways.” So I swore in My anger, “They will not enter My rest.”
Watch out, brothers, so that there won't be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart that departs from the living God. But encourage each other daily, while it is still called today, so that none of you is hardened by sin's deception. For we have become companions of the Messiah if we hold firmly until the end the reality that we had at the start.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tiffany! ME TOO!!! I think I got overheated in church Sunday (I am NOT complaining about the temp--I was very layered) and I had definitely been exposed to all the germs needed for this perfect storm/cold (my whole family has been sick). I've actually been thankful, because I was dreading jumping back into routine without feeling at ALL rested from the last two months' activities. As rotten as I've felt, it's been a gift and a much needed mental rest. It's also been a time to spiritually refuel (better a runny nose than a hard heart :) ) God is good--all the time.

    --Kim K.

    ReplyDelete