Friday, January 8, 2010

Snow Day

Yesterday was a snow day here!

It was funny how there was so much concern about the whopping 4 inches of snow we were going to get. On Wednesday, talk of it consumed the long grocery store lines and Facebook statuses. School was canceled and provisions were stored.

We finally received a dusting around noon.

Our family prepared in a different way. The kids were allowed to stay up late and watch a movie in their sleeping bags so they could camp in the living room afterward. Kevin and I – well, mostly Kevin – poured gallon after gallon of water onto the sidewalk so that the kids could skate on it the next day. Waking up late on the Snow Day, the kids went sliding on the snow-less ice while Kevin and I made breakfast: Hot chocolate, cut up apples, bananas, cheese, crackers, and a bowl full of homemade cinnamon crunch popcorn. (It can't be any worse than Cinnamon Toast Crunch!) Then we all sat in front of the TV and watched Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs that I had secretly rented the day before.

The rest of the day was filled with more sliding, munching, movie watching, and game playing. It was a great day. But- it was suppose to be a SNOW day, and it was not what we had really expected. It was better.

Isn't that the way it works sometimes with how we understand God? There are so many times that I've felt Him moving me in a particular direction for a reason I assumed was correct. Then, when I get there, the outcome was so much better than I could have ever imagined. The amazing thing about how God works is that if I hadn't planned for what I had originally thought would happen, then what did happen, never could have occurred even though not initially anticipated. (Read that again. It actually does make sense.)

God blows our mind with the “Better” when we give Him our best.

No comments:

Post a Comment