Friday, May 8, 2009

Ob(li)vious

Not much of a difference between these two words is there? Yet they mean essentially the opposite. Many times when we think something is obvious, we find that we were oblivious to some aspect of it. That happened to me this week.
I had decided to cut out all gluten and all dairy from my diet in an attempt to find what was bothering my stomach so much. I read every label and even realized that I couldn't have milk chocolate, but could most dark chocolates- luckily. I was so proud of myself these first few days as I avoided everything that had the slightest hint of dairy or gluten; even switching over to goats milk even for my tea and cheeses. But while in Bible study class this morning, a thought occurred to me. I was spreading butter on my rice bread each morning! Real butter: Pure dairy!

Isn't that how we get with our Christian lives? We go along, working hard to do most everything right, when WHAM! God shows us something that should have been obvious to us. Like I said yesterday, the Jews knew the Scriptures and thought that the Messiah would be obvious to them, but they were oblivious.

Ask God to show you some area in your life today in which you are oblivious about something. Be willing to admit it and learn from it. Proverbs 1:5 "A wise person will listen and continue to learn, and an understanding person will gain direction-" (GW)

No comments:

Post a Comment