Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Skeeter-Eaters

There are these really annoying bugs that come around here this time of year. They look like very large, lanky mosquitoes, but I am told they actually eat the mosquitoes, so I call them skeeter-eaters. One of the annoying things about them is that when they get in the house, and they WILL get in, it's hard to catch them without squashing them. The reason is, if you catch them by the legs they just come right off, and then you're left holding the legs while they flutter higher.
This morning I was driving to the store when I looked at the vehicle next to me at the stop light. There, at the top of the door, was a skeeter-eater flapping frantically. After a few seconds it dropped limp and I realized that one of its legs was caught in the door. It then began desperately trying to get away again only to drop in exhaustion after 5-10 seconds. It went through this cycle repeatedly until the light turned green and the car drove away with the skeeter-eater in tow.
I have to admit that instead of feeling sorry for it, I started laughing. I thought of how much we as Christians reflect that bug! We follow where God's leading us and accept His grace, but when it gets a little scary and He's ready to move us, we'd rather “lose a leg” and stay where we are. But we're stuck! We then go through moments of desperation trying to get away from the situation, to surrendering fully to it. Back and forth, but God won't allow that leg to just pop off. HE'S holding on now.
As the vehicle pulled onto the interstate I thought, “What a ride he's in for! Probably to his death, now.” I want that to be said of me. I may think I'm holding on to God till the end, but I know it's really that I've asked Him to hold on to me- to no matter what end!
“Not that I have already reached the goal, or am even fully mature, but I make every effort to take hold of it because I also have been taken hold of by Christ.” Philippians 3:12
What a ride I'm in for.... Absolutely to death!

No comments:

Post a Comment