Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Coffee & Tea Snobs


Are you a snob? Come on... admit it.
I am.
Not only does most American tea seem weak to me, but I have to use filtered water, the “special blend” of the British brand I use, and at least whole milk if not real cream. I became the same way when I use to drink coffee. It's really kinda sad.
But as I was mowing the lawn the other day, the Lord taught me something positive about my picky-ness. (I've told you, I learn a lot when mowing!) Coffee and tea are like salvation and Christian living! Just go with me here for a minute...

  • First of all, some people just don't get it. They are not saved.= They don't drink coffee or tea.
  • Some may fake salvation = Crystal Light Instant Iced Tea (Need I say more, snobs?)
  • The longer we strive to lead Godly lives as Christians, the less we can tolerate fleshly desires and deeds. = The longer we drink coffee or tea, the easier we can taste impurities in our cup.

Now, about being a Christ-like coffee/tea snob, we must follow what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 9:19-23. “I have become all things to all people.”(v. 22b) When I go over to someone's house and they serve me what I may consider an inferior tea do I turn my nose up at it and tell them that I have learned the ways of better tea? No. I drink it joyfully because they were considerate enough to even offer me some. However, when someone comes to my house, I offer up my best, hoping they will enjoy it. Honestly, sometimes, it's too strong for them, so I have other brands in the house just for that reason. And, yes, sometimes I even want a weaker one.
It's the same with Christian principles. Everyone may not be on the same level as I am. Some above, some below, some just different (Coffee vs. Tea). I accept a new believer with a weaker lifestyle without criticizing them. I may guide them to a higher standard, but we can't be fully mature believers the moment we are saved. We encourage and teach them. Remember, we were once there too. Also, we ARE the weaker Christian to others who have matured more than us.
When we teach or mentor others, our teachings may be too strong for them for a time, so we offer them what they can handle. Then we slowly take it to a deeper/stronger level.
So, what kind of snob are you? How can you relate it to this idea? (I have a friend who is a self proclaimed chocolate snob, and this works for her too!)
Please read 1Corinthians 9:19-23 today, and as you partake in your particular snobbery, reflect on your maturity with Christ and see if it matches.
For me it gives a whole new meaning to 1 Cor.9:22a, “To the weak I became weak...” Ha!

3 comments:

  1. As another tea snob, I love your analogy. Now when I am enjoying tea it will remind me of salvation and how grateful I am for it!! As for the tea, I carry tea bags with me at all times just in case I am in need of some real tea.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. your writings are wonderful!!! Really inspirational Tiff!!! Love you - Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So do I Rhonda- right next to my pocket Bible! LOL


    Sue, thanks!!! You have no idea how much that means to me! Love you B.C.!!

    ReplyDelete