Friday, May 1, 2009

A Beautiful Sound

I love to sing.

I especially love being in a choir where there is a lot of harmonizing going on. When a group gets going with intensity and complementing parts, I really feel like I'm floating up into the presence of God and singing before Him. It's great.

I have to admit though, sometimes I can get thrown when sitting next to someone who, shall we say, can't carry a tune in a bucket. It use to really bother me to the point where I would make sure not to sit next to certain people during a worship service. Well, until a few years ago, that is. You have to sit next to your children.

My daughter Lauren has more personality than I ever had, and she does nothing quietly. As she has grown and been learning the songs we sing in church, I've realized she's off tune. Way off tune at times. But, as I began watching her, I came to understand she was dead on with something else. Heart and joy. I have never seen anyone worship the Lord with such passion and innocence. It's beautiful.

Psalm 95:1-2 says, "Come, let us shout joyfully to the LORD, shout triumphantly to the rock of our salvation! Let us enter His Presence with thanksgiving; let us shout triumphantly to Him in song" You know what's interesting about that? The Hebrew word used here for shout is rûa‛. Strong's defines this as "to mar (especially by breaking); figuratively to split the ears (with sound), that is, shout (for alarm or joy): - blow an alarm, cry (alarm, aloud, out), destroy, make a joyful noise, smart, shout (for joy), sound an alarm, triumph."
There is no perfect pitch in there. Just pure praise. Pure devotion. Pure love.

Lauren makes the most beautiful sound...

2 comments:

  1. She truly does!! It intimidates me to sing next to her... I question myself, asking if I care about how I sound so much that I lose that pure unadulterated joy.

    I pray that no one ever takes it away from her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, but her singing talent comes from me, not her Momma! There is a LOT of musical talent in my family--but I did not get my share (not sure who stole mine, but somebody did--have my suspicions)....but like Lauren, I enjoy singing, but have been intimidated and have a tendancy to "hold back" and as a result, I miss out on some of the worship experience! But when I am home alone, or traveling in the car, I worship with those hymns that I love so much. I just pray that she never becomes intimidated and continues to "Sing for Joy to the Lord!" And I do know that when I belt those hymns out to Him, that they are truly music to His ears....and that is what matters! :-)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete