Thursday, April 30, 2009

Pain

Knowing how we are suppose to act in pain and actually doing it are two very different things. Ask any woman who just had a natural childbirth for the first time. We know that we are suppose to go to God when we are in any sort of pain be it physical or emotional. But how do we actually do it?
I've noticed that when a person is in pain they tend to scrunch up. You know what I mean? Their face pinches together, shoulders hunch in, and stomach tightens. We turn inward. We are suppose to turn upward.
How? I don't think there is a formula. But there is the book of Job.
I love the book of Job. I feel I can really relate to it. Not that I am claiming to have endured what he did, but I've had my own Job-ish times. Summarizing what I've found there: Job weeps, mourns, laments, and is honest with God about his confusion and hurt. But most of all, he waits on God. He trusts God enough to know that He will take care of him when the time is right. Do we have that kind of faith? I have to admit there is one verse I practice from the Bible over and over. Job 1:21b “The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away. Praise the name of the Lord.” I hope I will never have to use it in a situation like Job's, but want to be prepared in case I am. I want those to be the first words out of my mouth.
Would they be yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment