Monday, August 23, 2010

I Quit!

Do you ever have days you just want to quit? I do. To be quite honest, often I'm not even sure what it is I want to quit! All I want to do is yell, "I QUIT!", find a nice hole to crawl into and have a mute Hatian wipe my memory. (It's a Heroes thing. Sci-fi can be interesting.)

I've come to realize these are beneficial times for us. How? For one thing, we are forced to be honest with ourselves. If I run to God first and am candid with Him, I know that my heart has been in the right place recently. That, in and of itself, is a comfort. If I discover however, that I sit there bemoaning my situation while trying to cover it with food, television, a good book, or any number of other things, I begin to realize that a large part of the problem is I have fallen away from Him. That gives me something to do in order to fix the problem. No matter what it may be, I can draw closer to Him.

Another positive aspect of wanting to give up is realizing that we are not as all-powerful as we like to think we are. We can't control the world around us, we can't save ourselves nor the ones we love, and we couldn't take another breath without God. It causes us to call on Him.

I called to the LORD in my distress, and I cried to my God for help. From His temple He heard my voice, and my cry to Him reached His ears.
Psalm 18:6
For You, Lord, are kind and ready to forgive, abundant in faithful love to all who call on You.
Psalm 86:5
The LORD is near all who call out to Him, all who call out to Him with integrity.
Psalm 145:18

There are 22 verses in the Psalms alone which speak to calling out to the Lord. We are created to lean upon Him, and to be quite honest with ourselves, how often do we do that when everything is going great?

So next time you want to quit, go right ahead.... that way you might let Him take control again.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! My friend just shared that with me last night and I was like "Really?? So I'm not alone??" lol!! I love that verse in Psalms 145:18 and it reminds me that He is there for me. That is probably why I feel like quitting when He sends me out to do things...He just reminds me that HE needs to take control once again! I just love HIM!

    ReplyDelete