Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Small Group

Are you studying your Bible with a small group that has discussion somewhere?
If not, you need to.

Why?

The Bible: Need I say more if you plan to model your life after Jesus Christ who is the Word made flesh?

A small group: In a group of fifty people, how likely is it that you will stand up and tell them of your daily struggles and ask them to keep you accountable while you do the same for them? Remember, that means there are another 49 people you are going to keep up with and keep tabs on. Everyone needs a small group they can bond closely with who will help  keep them from going astray.

Discussion: We were created to communicate. That mean talking back and forth- not just listening or just talking. I've discovered that the most profound things learned about myself and other issues have been while discussion/debating something. Some times I play the devils advocate in order to have a person stand up for and defend their beliefs. Other times, giving different views and opinions have sharpened or cut cut away previous assumptions and knowledge. Either way, the ability to "hash it out" solidifies our stance while helping to purify it as well.

Wherever you are in life and at whatever stage of Christian growth, you need to have a small group who you can lean upon in your walk with Jesus Christ. No, they won't be perfect, but they are needed. Even Jesus had the 12 He walked and talked with. Why would we think we could do it on our own if He didn't?

3 comments:

  1. The small group that I am in now is really great because it is so mixed (ages, gender, history, etc.). The perspective is great and the discussions are wonderful. I love that we all help each other to grow closer to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the best kind :-) My two new groups are very diverse as well. I'm looking forward to them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to find a small group...my Sunday School class does not meet my needs (maybe I need to reassign myself to another class)...have a tiny group at work, but they would help me make excuses instead of holding my feet to the fire...maybe I am to lead them to greater faith! Pray for me to find the group that is right for me! Thanks for this....needed it so bad!

    ReplyDelete