Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Nothing

God reminded me yesterday that I know nothing.

Actually, He reminded me that what I think I know isn't worth knowing and has been taking up most the space of the "nothing" I should know. Uh-huh.
What "nothing" is that?

1 Corinthians 2:2
For I am determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. (Emphasis mine)

What does it look like to know nothing among people except Christ? I am so grateful Paul elaborated...

1 Corinthians 2:3-7
And I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. My speech and my proclamation were not with persuasive words of wisdom, but with a demonstration of the Spirit and power, so that your faith might not be based on men's wisdom but on God's power.
However, among the mature we do speak a wisdom, but not of this age, or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. On the contrary, we speak God's hidden wisdom in a mystery, which God predestined before the ages for our glory.


There are two "nothing"'s in "knowing nothing but Jesus Christ and Him crucified."  The first is to unbelievers. We are to show nothing but the power of the Spirit to them, so that they are not convinced with fancy words and sound logic, but with the Spirit. In this way we will not help them deceive themselves so they someday hear, "...I never knew you! 'Depart from Me, you lawbreakers!'" (Matthew 7:23)

The second "nothing" is for those who are mature in Christ. We are to speak nothing of this age and it's wisdom's understanding, but of  "God's hidden wisdom in a mystery". It's nothing that should make any sense to a sinful and unbroken heart, but it's life and beauty to us.

There is a great freedom and trust in knowing nothing; For we are then free to trust God in everything.

2 comments:

  1. It was really interesting that as I was reading this post - I was hearing "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ" over and over again and thought that was interesting. Then I realized it was a commercial that was on TV that I had not seen before that had different people saying that over and over again. It is for a website (iamnotashamed.com) that is to testify for Christ - I don't know who controls the website, but I thought it was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS interesting because that's one of the songs that kept running in my head while writing it! (Two versions- we just sang I Am Not Ashamed by the Brooklyn Tab, Choir too) I'll check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete