Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Was A Master

The Lord showed me something I didn't expect yesterday: I am a master escape artist.

Yea. I wondered what He meant by that too. Trust me, isn't not a compliment...

After a difficult, yet rewarding day with the Lord, I was beginning to become a bit overwhelmed. As I sat there trying to calm my brain and emotions down, I suddenly decided to go read a fiction book. That's when the Lord asked me in a surprisingly firm voice, "Why?"

"Uh... I don't really know" I thought. "To just get away for a bit and not think about it?"

"Stop escaping, and just come to Me with it." Before I knew it, He was taking me on a review of my life, showing me all the little escape methods I have used over the years: Books, movies, games, shows, others, boys, alcohol, a vivid imagination... There were so many! And they played on and on. I was so good at it! It's not that all those things are bad, the problem was with how I was used them at times. I even remembered as a teenager that my favorite part of the day was bedtime. Why? Because I could lay there for as long as I wanted making up any scenario and storyline I wanted. I didn't even have to be me!

Now that's not to say I never brought things before the Lord. I have many, many times, but not always in the right way. He showed me it was more like I threw them at His feet while running to my escape method- whatever it was. Now, if it got really, really bad I laid it at His feet the right way and spent my time begging....I mean in prayer...., but I did not honor Him with the first-fruits of my devotion.

As I practiced escaping to Him today I noticed a very pleasant difference. Not only was my reason for escape lessened, but He comforted and taught me as well. But you know what the most amazing part was? I received all this blessing and I still got be me!

Ask the Lord to reveal to you in what ways you've been escaping. I would never have thought they were there before He revealed them to me. He will reveal them to you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment