Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Old Glue

I have to admit that I am very tired right now. There are a few things contributing to this, but the most annoying are some persistent pains I'm having. As I flopped down a few minutes ago trying to decide what I should write about for today, an old poster my mother brought from her 1st grade classroom in Florida rolled over to me. On the back was some old glue from a hot glue gun which held it to the wall for a few years. Peeling it off, I started playing with it while my laptop thought about starting up. It was one of those moments where the very simple things in life - like playing with old glue - can be very comforting.

Now when I am very tired and hurting I tend to get contemplative. While fiddling with the old glue, I began to wonder where it had been and the things said and done around it. What were the children like who sat in that class, and where are they now? Who was the janitor that cleaned up the room where it hung? Were there extremes in temperature so that it expanded and contracted? Then it hit me that sadly, I bet no one ever noticed that glue - for years. This stuff that I was so intent on at the moment, was never given a thought by anyone it was around. No one even knew it was there.

That's when I felt the Spirit whisper, "I knew."

He brought these verses to mind from Matthew 10:29-31. "Aren't two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet none of them falls to the ground without the Father's consent. But even the hairs of your head have all been counted. Don't be afraid therefore; you are worth more than many sparrows."

We have a mighty and awesome God, and truly can't wrap our minds around how all-knowing He really is. To think that He knows everything that is going on everywhere. He loves us and has spent so much time and effort on us.Yet, some people don't even know He's there.

I thought of it this way: The Creator of the universe - of all time - knows all the details of that old dried up glue on the wall. He even took the time to place it next to me tonight, knowing that this lesson would comfort and encourage me. He loves us so much and is so detailed, that He worked it all out for me, to share it with you. And yet that God, is totally ignored by millions today. Some because they don't know He's there. Other's because they can't see Him "behind the poster holding it up". But most, I fear, because they just don't care; thinking it doesn't have anything to do with them.

Let's take some time today to marvel at who He is..., and then share Him with others who haven't really looked.

1 comment:

  1. I think that it is so sad that the countries that were founded on christian values are now the areas where so many deny God exists. When we were in England my favorite cathedral to visit was Bath Abbey because it was an alive church - they witnessed to all of the visitors. In other ones, it was all about the historic tours.

    I do still love Westminster Cathedral because in the cloisters I find solace and feel close to God, but it is the design of building and not the congregation.

    God is so obvious and yet people still deny Him.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete