Thursday, July 9, 2009

Eternal Life

You have eternal life. In fact, so does everyone you know.

Billy Graham has it.
Michael Jackson has it.
Mother Theresa has it.
Hitler has it.

The point is, where are you going to spend it?

I tend to cringe when I hear people say to someone who was just saved, “Now you have eternal life!” No, actually, they just now have it through Jesus' inheritance. They will no longer be judged by their works, but by the righteousness of Christ's blood that covers them.

Revelation 20:13-15; 21:6-8
“Then the sea gave up its dead, and Death and Hades gave up their dead; all were judged according to their works. Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And anyone not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.... And He said to me, 'It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give to the thirsty from the spring of living water as a gift. The victor will inherit these things, and I will be his God, and he will be My son. But the cowards, unbelievers, vile, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars – their share will be in the lake of sulfur, which is the second death.'”

One of the reasons I feel so strongly that it should worded this way is that it puts an extra pressure on us to share the Gospel. It's one thing if I think a person just doesn't have eternal life happily with Jesus; That perhaps they pass into oblivion. But to think that they will spend eternity in agony, in a place where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 25:30, Luke 13:28), wishing they had followed Jesus, spurs me to try harder and love deeper.

5 comments:

  1. wow. I don't think I've ever thought of it that way. I think because we have consistantly heard 'eternal life' in referrence to John 3:16 that we all jus tthink of it referring to Heaven. Thanks for the new perspective/thing to ponder...

    (and I may blog and use you as referrence...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember hearing a sermon and the preacher stated that those who go to Hell will not just burn up and be done with it that they will burn for eternity. You probably heard the same sermon. That was when I realized that we all have eternal life--it is just that those of us in Heaven will be happy forever.....not so with the folks at the other location. :-)

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all have eternal existence, but "eternal life" without Christ is not really life at all--it's eternal death. We know the wages of sin is death, which, I don't think refers to the "sleep" or quickening of the body, but rather to that eternal torment, but as Christians we know there is NO life without Christ. Before Him, we were all already dead in our transgressions. Praise God! Through Christ we have life now AND forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany, I finally managed to post a comment (above) and then I forgot to sign it. :) Keep up the good, thought-provoking posts!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy-
    No problem! :)

    Kim-

    You're right. Wording can be such a problem at times! Perhaps the best way to say it is, "Eternal consciousness".

    ReplyDelete