Saturday, July 4, 2009

Detour

I ended up making an unexpected road trip this past Monday. When I woke up and called my mother, it was decided that I would go and pick her up in Kentucky to stay with us for a few days. I quickly got ready, threw the kids in the van, and headed up there. It should have taken us about 9 hours round trip with breaks included: Long, but not too bad. However, we pulled into our driveway again a little over 12 hours later. (But at least our air conditioning worked the whole way!) Here's why...

Heading north on I-65 that morning we passed a very bad wreck on the southbound lane. It involved multiple semi trucks and cars. The people behind them had been there for so long that they were out of their vehicles and sitting in the shade off to the side of the road. No traffic was moving yet, but it looked like it would within the hour. When I arrived at my aunt's house about two hours later I called AAA and asked if they knew if the wreck has been cleared. They said it was and the traffic was moving, and since I had a little over an hour to get to that spot, I thought we would be fine.

Luckily, as we arrived at the section were we saw the traffic stopped, there was an exit. We had a map so I decided to get off and try a side road. Bad idea. All the side roads were bumper to bumper with semi's on little country two lane roads. Turning around to try a different direction, we saw that the interstate was clear as we headed over it. Thinking it had just opened, we got back on and headed south. Hills can be so deceptive... Just over the hill, there was the traffic. We were then committed to Interstate travel, so on we putted.

After about 45 minutes and 8 miles, Elijah was bouncing in his seat. He had to pee. We were moving just enough with construction around, so that pulling over to the side was not really an option. I told him to please just pee in an empty bottle and promised we wouldn't look. I knew that after the next exit, it cleared within a mile or two, and we were almost there. But he is very, how shall I say it... ornery and precise. Peeing in a bottle is just not what people do, so forget it.

With the end nearly in sight we pulled off the next exit only to see the police were not letting anyone back on. After taking a quick potty break with everyone else who refused to pee in a bottle on the Interstate, we merged into the two lane bumper to bumper detoured masses: For an extra 20 miles. I thought I would scream.

Instead God started talking to me. “Tiffany, when you get on the road I want for you, don't get off. No matter how badly you want a break, and how much traffic there may seem to be- stick to it. And if for some reason child, you do take an early exit, don't worry too much. I'll get you back on. But be prepared for a lengthy detour.”

Thanks God. You really can use anything to teach me.

Are you on the Interstate, on a detour, or taking a potty break from God's purpose for your life?

2 comments:

  1. I think that the not willing to do what is not "normal" must be genetic - Jay and Cliff have that too!! I think that they would burst before peeing in a bottle.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it is genetic--Rhonda and Kevin are BOTH guilty! I have no idea where they got it from!
    :-)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete