Monday, June 29, 2009

No Fear

1 John 4:18-19 “There is no fear in love; instead, perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. So the one who fears has not reached perfection in love. We love because He first loved us.”

I believe that the only kind of love this can be referring to is the love we have for our God. When we have learned to love Him in that way, then that love filters through us, from Him, to all other kinds of love. I know it sounds confusing, but let's think of it through an example:

We love our children deeply. However, we experience fear when they become hurt, or are in danger. It's natural that we feel this way! Yet, as we grow in our relationship with God we begin to trust Him completely. The love we have for Him enables us to understand within our very essence that He is Creator of everything. Not just what was, but what is, and what will be. If we trust “...that all things work together for the good of those who love God...”, like it says in Romans 8:28, and we love Him enough to show that complete trust in Him, then that love casts out all fear. What is there to be afraid of? The Creator of ALL loves us and knows what is best for us. He wants what is best for us. He will not give us bad when we ask for what is good. (Luke 11:11-13)

When we begin to love Him like this, it filters down into every aspect of our lives. This is not to say we will never experience fear. We just don't allow it to hold any sway over us. There is no long lasting fear of a situation. We trust Him, and know that even if it doesn't work out the way we want, it is still for the best. We trust Him completely.

This is the kind of love we are able to experience and have because, as it says, He first loved us in this way.

I'm going to end my study of 1 John here. There is yet another chapter, but a lot of it is what we have already talked about. When you get a chance, please read it though. In fact, reading the entire book of 1 John shouldn't take that long, and it is a real treasure. I pray you've been blessed through this. I may try going through another book sometime because I know I've enjoyed it. Thanks to all of you!

1 comment:

  1. I think that a lot of time the fear is a need to be in control. We are not in control and we can trust the One that is in control and when we accept that we can release fear and just love Him and others.

    We are in the process of getting a new band director here and for a while I needed to know what was going on with that. Then one day while worrying about it and talking to a friend, I said and meant, "I totally trust the principal and he will make the right choice". When I voiced that it was freeing and I could just wait to hear the results (which I have not heard yet). I also realized how much more I can trust God in everything!! Talk about freedom. I have known that I can trust Him, but was a deepening of trust in Him. I love how God uses the situations and people around us to teach us to love Him more. He is SO AMAZING and TRUSTWORTHY!

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete