Friday, July 3, 2009

As Hot As... Well, You Know

I don't think I have ever been that hot for that long in my life.

As I was helping move my mother from Florida to Kentucky, on the two longest days of the year I might add, the transmission overheated. We were pulling a U-Haul and, I admit, going 70 mph in 100 degree weather. We made it to the Georgia boarder on I-75, when we finally found a mechanic at a truck stop. He was a true answer to prayer at that point. He took the time to come out to the vehicle with me, look things over, and decide what to do about it - for free. Basically, we could either try to rent a larger vehicle or try going 60 mph max, windows down, and heat on. He said a lot a folks don't believe it really helps, but it does.

Now this dear angel was a skinny little white man who was permanently stained black from grease. Believe me, I know the kind: I grew up with some. So when he told me it was worth a try, I took him at his word. Besides, I had been praying to God for us to find the right mechanic who could tell us the right thing to do, so I had to trust that God had done that and follow through with belief.

The mechanic also told me to be careful. The temperature was bouncing between 99 and 101 degrees with a very high humidity level. The heat index, they told me, was near 115 to 120. So off we drove. I went to take a drink of the water we had, and it was as hot as a cup of coffee. At one point Elijah fell asleep in the back and I had my mother check on him to make sure he hadn't passed out. I seriously thought he might have because he and I were on the side where we were sitting in the sun as well. We paused to eat an early dinner because we just couldn't drive any more without cooling down, and then drove for a little over an hour more. It was around 7 pm by this time and we decided to stop at a hotel and get a few hours sleep and then leave again around 1 am in order to drive in the cool of the morning. After we checked in, all cooled down in the shower, and got in bed I had four hours to sleep. I prayed for God to get me as much deep sleep as possible so that I could continue easily the next day.

As I laid there tossing and turning for the next two hours I began to get a little worried. I was concerned enough about this must-have-seven-hours body getting only four. Especially after the previous week's lack from traveling and packing. But now I was down to only two!
The next morning, or actually, in a few of hours, as I was driving again in the 79 degree cool of the day, I began asking God what was up with that. Didn't He know I needed more? Hadn't He been the One who previously told me to start getting more for my own health? I just didn't understand. I wasn't mad- just confused.

That's when it hit me. He was once again stretching me and teaching me to live on faith. Yes, He had answered my prayer about the mechanic, but He wanted me to know that even when I knew something should happen, and it didn't, He was still in control and would take care of me through it. Those were the times I had to rely solely on His strength.

Lesson learned.

So, on I drove. Over 20 hours in unbelievable heat, with two small children, on 2 hours sleep. I began thinking how grateful I was this was the only heat of hell I would ever have to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment