Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Let It Rain

It has been exceptionally hot and dry here in Tennessee lately, with a heat index up to 110 degrees. Today a thunderstorm came by, and I was so excited we might get a little rain. After an hour or more watching lightning, listening to thunder, and feeling the hot winds blow, I was getting frustrated. All the rain was passing east of us! That's when I heard the Spirit whisper to me, “Be careful you don't become like this.”

Yikes. That would be awful. What if I became nothing more than a flashy bit of loud noise and hot wind that disappoints? What both Christians and non-Christians need most is the refreshing rain of the Spirit, not a bunch of fluff that doesn't deliver. It's even more important in the case of a non believer. They may then associate all Christianity with it after that.

There is a worship song I love that goes beautifully with this illustration. I'm not sure who the author is, but the chorus repeats over and over. This is my prayer today...

Let it rain, let it rain.
Open the floodgates of heaven...

No comments:

Post a Comment