Thursday, June 11, 2009

Shaving Knee Hairs

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a perfectionist. It really does annoy me at times, because I have the tendency to want to forget or give something up because I can't get it done just right. I'm constantly striving to get things perfect in an imperfect world, with a far from perfect body.

I was asking God the other day why I keep failing so miserably when I so desperately want to do things right for Him. I realize that none of us ever will reach perfection here on this earth, and that Jesus is the only one who has or will ever be able to do it. That is why He was the acceptable propitiation for our sins. I'm just tired of what seems to be a constant cycle of getting myself in the right spot and doing the right thing, only to find myself suddenly realizing some time later that I've been missing or forgetting some aspect.

I happened to be talking to God about this frustration of mine in the shower since that's the only quite, alone time a mom tends to get. At the same time, I was shaving my legs very carefully since we were having a pool party that afternoon. You ladies know what I mean. One doesn't want a big ol' patch of hairy leg when in a bathing suit in front of every one you go to church with. Later that afternoon while driving to the party I looked down at my knees. There were little hairs sticking out everywhere! It looked like I hadn't shaved that spot in a month or more. Why, of all times, did I now finally see them?

That's when God spoke to me. "It's because you have exposed them to the light of My sun and you were finally looking for them."

Oh. That made sense- For all those questions. That is why it is so important to keep bringing the things we are doing before God. Some hairs may have grown in. Now I had a choice. Did I ignore them, forget about them, or shave them? You have a choice too. Little things will keep popping up in this world. We don't need to give up or just ignore them. We need to constantly thank God He showed them to us and then shave them.

Perhaps I should keep a small razor next to the Bible in my purse...

1 comment:

  1. I find that when I am not wearing my contacts my entire house looks cleaner (until I put on my glasses or contacts) and I think that I can relax. Then when you see clearly, you realize how much there is to clean (and it will never end). I think that sometimes God lets us see through blurry vision when we need to rest and rejuvinate, then when we are ready he hands us our glasses (or better yet His vision).

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete