Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Tools of Satan- Part 1 of 3: Condemnation

I heard my pastor the other day say that Satan has only two tools he can use against us: Condemnation and Temptation. While I certainly agree with these, I thought of one more our adversary uses. Fear/Anxiety. While these three things can seem monumental, we usually give Satan too much credit. We tend to think of him as the opposite of God or Jesus. C. S. Lewis said it best, that in reality, “Satan, the leader or dictator of devils, is the opposite, not of God, but of Michael.” (C. S. Lewis, The Joyful Christian) Satan is not omnipotent- All powerful; omniscient- All knowing; or omnipresent- In all places at the same time. God has all of these traits and Satan none. The Devil must therefore resort to using tricks, or tools, and I want to focus on how he uses these to try and mock God.

Romans 8:28 tells us “that all things work together for the good of those who love God.” (emphasis mine) God can use our past, present, and future to work for good, so Satan has his three tools to try and combat these. But praise God, He has given us the weapons with which we can stand and defend ourselves.

Our Past: Condemnation

Any little thing we have ever done, our adversary loves to keep shoving in our face. We are constantly reminded of how we have failed in every area of our lives; How a person as messed up as us, who has committed as many sins as we, can never be truly useful to God. He wants nothing more than for us to live as defeated Christians who daily feel the weight of past sins.

The Cure: Grace

Yep. He's right. I HAVE messed up. I HAVE sinned greatly, but you know what's so amazing about our God? David says it beautifully in Psalm 32: 1-2, 5 “How happy is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered! How happy is the man the Lord does not charge with sin, and in whose spirit is no deceit!... Then I acknowledged my sin to You and did not conceal my iniquity. I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,' and You took away the guilt of my sin.” We've been forgiven! Grace has been given to us. Why keep dwelling on something God forgot as ours? Gratefully hold firm to the grace He has extended. Don't wrap His gift in the stench of our past- display it with joy!

Ask the Lord today to reveal any areas in your life in which you live as though defeated. Then put them behind you for good.
If there are none, praise God for the amazing gift of His grace which is so evident in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment