Sunday, May 17, 2009

Don't Wish. Do.

Every once in a while my husband will ask, “I wonder were Spence is?”

Spence is an old friend of his from high school that he use to call his twin brother because they were both born on the same day in the same hospital. After graduation they lost touch with each other like we usually do, but for some reason Kevin has always been concerned about Spence. For years, Kevin would ask about him to people, but no one seemed to have heard from him. Unfortunately, Kevin had to miss his 10 year reunion (10 years ago...) and so was not able to ask about him there.

A little over a week ago he decided to try once again to look up Spence online, hoping to find anything about where he might be. This time he did find something: Recently posted pictures of a memorial to Spence. Kevin discovered that he had passed away even before their first reunion. It really hit him hard. Not only because he was so young when he died, but because he doesn't think Spence knew the Lord Jesus Christ. Since finding out he has chided himself because he knew there were many opportunities he had to share the Gospel with him, but never did.
I just found out today that a classmate of mine has also died. I didn't know him that well, but I do know I never shared the Gospel with him or any others of my almost 400 person graduating class. I then started thinking about the people I have known since graduating. With how many of them have I shared? Very few. In fact, it has only been in the last few years that I have begun to do so. Why?

I have no good answer. A lot of excuses, but not a lot of reason.

Start sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ with those around you today. Don't put it off. You may not have the time to wait. Hebrews 4:1, says, “Therefore, while the promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear so that none of you should miss it.” Later in verse 7 it says, “Today if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts.” The promise remains today. There is no guarantee of tomorrow for everyone. I don't want to have to wish I had said something anymore. I'm going to just do it.

Kevin still asks, but with a pain in both of our hearts at the new meaning, “I wonder were Spence is?”

4 comments:

  1. Kevin shared this with me this week and I cried--for the loss of one of his friends, but also because as far as I know, Spence did not know our Lord. However, I do know that he was given the opportunity to know Him, but said that he was not interested. Kevin frequently invited him to church functions...and a time or two he came. Kevin did plant the seed...we must accept the fact that we cannot make anyone accept Jesus, we can just introduce them. Kevin did introduce them. But yet, I also wonder where Spence is......
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea - my heart aches for Spence. Life is so fragile and only God knows when we will breathe our final breath. I know that I have missed many opportunities to share my Jesus with others and I have no excuse. My prayer is that I will seize the opportunities to share his love.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tiffany, this is Pam Baker. Your mom clued me in to your blog and now I have you on my favorites list. I will look forward to reading your "everyday" reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam! It's so good to hear from you! I hope you enjoy :) Tell Preston hello and we miss you all!

    ReplyDelete