Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Keys

For the last two years I've had a key to the fellowship hall at our church. This building which has a gym on the top floor and a kitchen with a dining room and small classrooms off to the side on the lower level, is separate from the main church building. The only connection is a covered walkway for those rainy days. So for the last two years, I've enjoyed access to anything I needed to get in kitchen area for my classes in the main building.


Yesterday, as I was setting up for our final Bible study class this year, I asked if the back door was unlocked to the main building so I didn't have to walk all the way around with my arms full. As we were walking to unlock it I mentioned that I didn't need the fellowship hall unlocked since I had a key. That's when my friend told me, "It's the same key that unlocks the doors in the main building too."


All this time I had the key to the main building! I can't tell you how many times I walked all the way around, waited for someone with the key, or went in search for someone to unlock one of those doors: And it was in my pocket the whole time! 


Isn't that how we often treat the Spirit within us?


We have full access to God, but we tend to forget that and rely on others to tell us or lead us in Spiritual matters. Books, teachers, and Bible studies are great tools to encourage and challenge us, but we should never rely on them as our main source of hearing from God. We have the Spirit within us! Read His Word and go to Him in prayer- He will guide us. Jesus promised. 


If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever......But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit the Father will send Him in My name - will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have told you.
John 14:15-16, 26

For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.
Ephesians 2:18

No comments:

Post a Comment