Monday, July 19, 2010

Take A Vacation

Any of you who have known me for very long know that I love many Bill Murray movies. It's not that I like him in particular as an actor, he just picks some really great roles. One of my favorites is in the movie, What About Bob.

Bob, played by Murray, is "...an almost-paralyzed, multi-phobic personality who is in a constant state of panic". He follows his new psychiatrist, Dr. Marvin, on the Dr.'s month long vacation to New Hampshire from New York City. After multiple attempts to get Bob - who is desperately clinging to him for support and advise - to leave, Dr. Marvin writes Bob a new prescription. All it says is, "Take a vacation....from your problems!"

Bob is freed.

Now, you may think I'm going to tell you to take a vacation from your problems, and just trust in the Lord. He knows we all have them. And while that's good advise, that's not what came to mind.  Many of us do take multiple vacations a year: To relax, get away, have fun, be with family, or just have an adventure and see/do something new. But, I don't think we, as Americans, need to be told to do that. We seem to have no problem in taking care of ourself in this way. We love vacations. I think the problem may be that we take too many. Let me explain...

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against vacations. In fact, I wish I had more of them! I just believe we have the vacation mentality too often, and the problem with that is the first thing we usually take a break from is God.

Be honest. When you need to read your Bible but are tired or busy, isn't that the first thing you cut out? After a long week of work and/or school which is the first to be cut on the weekend: Sports, or church? When it comes to your quiet time and your brain is fried, how often do we take a break and watch a movie or T.V. show that doesn't exactly help our minds dwell on what is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, or commendable. (Philippians 4:8)

I say these because I have been guilty of all, and I don't want to be.

So, since we seem to be wired to take these vacations, I'm going to do just that:
I'm going to take a vacation.... from my excuses.


Would you join me on my vacation?

1 comment: