Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Lord-- How Long?

This morning the Spirit spoke to me through Psalm 90:13-17.

   Lord -- how long?
   Turn and have compassion on Your servants.
   Satisfy us in the morning with Your faithful love so that we may shout with joy and be glad for days.
   Make us rejoice for as many days as You have humbled us, for as many years as we have seen adversity.
   Let Your work be seen by Your servants, and Your splendor by their children. 
   Let the favor of the Lord our God be on us; establish for us the work of our hands -- establish the works of our hands!

How many times have we cried out, "How long, Lord?" I don't know about you, but there have been many times in my life. We should cry out to Him, but it is the next line that made me pause and ponder- "Turn and have compassion on Your servants." When we cry out to God for help, one of the first questions we need to ask ourself is, "Have I truly been His servant recently? Or, have I been serving myself and/or others?"

We must also be careful not to answer this question too quickly. Just because we have been "good" and are doing servant-like things does not mean we are serving Him. Sometimes we are only serving our desire to feel worthy, or are not able to say NO to other's requests for their own good paths. Always make sure you take the time to listen to the Spirit in oder to discern is the good we are doing is the good He created for us to do and not someone else. He may have chosen a different path for us that we are resisting.

Tomorrow I'd like to continue on with this portion of Psalm 90, but for now I'm going to meditate on just how obedient a servant I have been. If there are any "Why?", or "How long?" questions in your life, I as you to join me in this. If not... save it for when there are. We are, after all, not perfected yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment