Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mysterious Ways

"The Lord works in mysterious ways."

I've always loved this quote. Though it doesn't come directly from the Bible, it is a pretty good summation.  What's even better is when you experience it.

Last night I was... well, let's just say, "out of sorts". Not only was I hurting physically, but crankiness and a general sense of gloom and doom had settled in. Trying to get over the funk, I read a few chapters of a Christian fictional book I love and have recently started again. It didn't work.

My next thought was to watch a little T.V., so I started streaming a series I'm slowly going through. But just as I got to the title, I knew it wouldn't work. So God and I had a little chat...

The Spirit brought His Word to mind. "Read some." I felt Him say.

Ever the arguer, I replied, "But I've already read two days worth today and I want to be able to meditate on what I've read. Not just fly through it."

Silence.

"Fine," I thought. "Once telling me should be enough. It's not like You don't know how flustered and frustrated I am."

The Scripture was good, but the prayer at the end of the devotional floored me:

"My Father and my God, forgive me if in times of trial and distress I look for comfort in the wrong places. You and You alone are able to meet my soul's deepest needs. Help me to see this not merely as on option but as a conviction. In Jesus' name. Amen"

AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment