Wednesday, February 24, 2010

That Special Someone

OK. We are human, and we are not perfect. I think that is a good thing to remember at all times because it helps keep us humble.

So in regards to that, I'd like to ask you about that special someone in your life. I truly believe we all have one - even though we shouldn't. You know, the person who just rubs you the wrong way. Perhaps you have good reason for them to get under your skin, or it may just be for no reason at all. But for some cause, when they say "hello" you're just sure they meant it the wrong way.

What do you do with that? The feeling and bile that rises within you? Prayer is the first thing that comes to mind, and though it sound easy, it's not. What do we pray for? I'd like to think God meant much of Davidic Scripture like Psalm 35:26. "Let those who rejoice at my misfortune be disgraced and humiliated; let those who exalt themselves over me be clothed with shame and reproach." But read that again. Then I would be rejoicing at their misfortune and they could pray the same about me. That doesn't work.


It's the next two verses that give us clue of how we should pray:
Let those who want my vindication shout for joy and be glad; let them continually say, "The Lord be exalted, who wants His servant's well-being." And my tongue will proclaim Your righteousness, Your praise all day long.
Psalm 35:27-28


What if the person who rubs you the wrong way is a Christian and really has nothing against you. It's just that feeling. There are different reasons why that may be. I have found before, after much soul searching, that honestly I was jealous of something. In one instance, it was something that was wrong with me and I was frustrated in seeing that quality which I longed for displayed so beautifully in them. In that case, the jealously I felt spurred me on to developing that quality. It took a lot of prayer and discipline, but now I respect that person greatly and look at them with gratitude: And they never knew it!

Other times you may not be able to discern any particular reason. Just think of it as a lesson from the Lord in how to deal with all the people He loves. I've also used it to thank God profusely because I can imagine I rub Him the wrong way too many times. Yet He still loves me so much! And we should love those He loves- even when it's hard. It helps give us a new respect for what He has to put up with.

Next time someone annoys you in this way - particularly a sibling in Christ - just say a prayer to the Lord asking Him to give you the ability and strength to love them the way He loves you. After all, Jesus even told us in John 13:35, "By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

Who are you known as?

No comments:

Post a Comment