Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Would You Rather...

While in Maryland with family, we played a fun game called, "Would You Rather...". It gave you a list of question where you had to choose between two difficult scenarios. Depending on where you were in the game, the goal was to either have others agree or disagree on their answers.

I looked online hoping they had a Bible version to play, but they didn't. Probably too many heated arguments would happen...

However, as I was studying and reading over a section in the life of Moses, a question came to mind:

Would you rather...
See God's full glory pass before you once in your life like Moses (Ex. 33:18-23), or...
Be certain of God's direction, specifically for you, throughout your whole life?


There is no right or wrong answer, but is something fun to ponder. Post a comment and let me know which you would choose and why.

2 comments:

  1. You know how some questions sort of stick with you? This one did that with me.

    My immediate thought was that I'd prefer the certainty. Seeing anything once is fleeting; having seen it is a memory. The question of God's will is ongoing, and can be haunting in its uncertainty.

    On the other hand, I was listening to Peter Gabriel on Pandora (http://www.pandora.com), and heard a familiar stanza:

    I'm hearing right and wrong so clearly
    There must be more than this
    It's only in uncertainty
    That we're naked and alive.

    We need to choose to have faith. If it were given to us, the choice would be gone.

    I think that the certainty would remove that element of choice. I think that we *have* to have uncertainty, or we could not have faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree David. My first thought also was to choose knowing His direction my whole life. If I only saw God's glory once in my life, I would forget too many important things and would most likely invent other images. The mind can be so easily swayed!
    But as I thought it over there was a song that helped me as well. It's a new song from the group Downhere titled "My Last Amen":

    Somewhere in the grand design
    It's good to be unsatisfied
    It keeps the faith and hope
    A little more alive

    I then had to remind myself that God knows what He is doing and there is a good reason why we aren't told more and need to rely on faith so much. :)

    ReplyDelete