Thursday, October 15, 2009

Apple Picking


While in Maryland we went apple picking at an organic farm. The produce they had was amazing! My brother-in-law took this picture of my husband and I as we played around while gathering 140 lbs of apples.

Every time I see this photo I think of Adam and Eve, and I'm glad it isn't an accurate portrayal of that scene. (Genesis 3:7)

Something I found interesting was that each person there had a different favorite apple. There were only 4 varieties available that day, so unfortunately, a few people were out of luck. My favorite were the Empire apples. They were slightly tart and smaller than some of the others: The perfect munching size for me. The one we were eating in the photo was an Ida Red. They were big, juicy, and tart: Perfect for cooking and baking with.

As I looked around, I was blown away by the variety God created for us. Yes, some apples were genetically altered to give different flavors, but God created fruit to be able to do that. He knew we were created to have different tastes and desires, so He made the world around us to offer more than one kind.

I started thinking about the fact that just because someone preferred a different apple didn't mean they were wrong. It meant they were created by God, from the womb, to desire different things. This is the same thing as how we worship. Some people like upbeat praise and worship, others like somber hymns. A loud, solid beat and wild strings my stir one soul while a calm harp and soft woodwinds stirs another.

We were created different: And telling God that others tempos are wrong, is like telling Him He was wrong to create more than one kind of apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment