Wednesday, August 12, 2009

All I Trust

I have a very difficult time trusting people. It has nothing to do with them personally, I've just been hurt so many times in life that I've built up a wall. I honestly don't remember, or perhaps even know, how to function without one.

Over the last decade, however, my husband and I have been working on tearing that wall down: Brick by brick at times. Still, I constantly struggle with placing my trust in others. Though I've asked the Lord to help me in this area, it has been slow to improve at best. In the last few years I have even learned to genuinely love people, which is quite a leap for me, but I've always held back a full measure of trust.

The other Sunday during worship time I began questioning the Lord about it once again. We were singing a new hymn titled, Oh The Deep, Deep Love. As I sang the chorus the second time, the Lord spoke loudly to me:

Oh the deep, deep love
All I need and trust
Is the deep, deep love of Jesus.


...ALL I need and trust...

The Lord changed one word for me: All I need to trust.

He spoke to my heart, “Tiffany, if you truly trust Me, everything else will work out. I will never let anything happen to you that I don't want to. And if someone does hurt or betray you, you can trust Me to work it out for your good. Don't fret over trusting others. Just trust Me.”

I suddenly felt free. If I trust in Him in place of others, I no longer need to hold any of myself back from them. If I am rejected or hurt He has allowed it, and I trust Him to use it for my good. This is not a license to be foolish – I still need to act with wisdom and discernment, but I no longer need to hold back the little extra in every situation. Because of this, I am now able to love more freely. There is no fear of being betrayed.

Oh, how sweet to trust in Jesus...

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift of Love He gave you! He loves you so much and spoke to your heart when you were ready to hear Him. He is worthy of All of your trust!!
    People will fail you, but even in that God will hold you in his hand. He loves you perfectly! I love you too, but am not perfected YET.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. *ugh* trust... you just had to go there, didn't you... =oP I think this is the hardest thing in the world for me. And I don't know that I have a thick wall. it's just that sometimes the hardest place for me to put my trust is in God. I'd almost rather place my trust in another human being then in my Savior.

    And the funny thing is, whenever we sing that exact song... I feel God longing for my trust, and I still cling to it.....

    *sigh* I'm a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you had to remove a portion of that wall that was built before you were ready to receive His message of love and trust. I praise God that he loves you and cares for you! I love you and try not to fail you (or anyone else for that matter), but fear that at times I have failed you. When I mess up just know I love you no matter what--I have loved you for a very long time and nothing will ever change that love! My sweet precious Tiffany I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to sign it! Shows how imperfect I am!

    Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete