Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Chosen People

Have you ever felt totally left out? I think we all experience this at times. I was the kid in school who was always picked last for any team sports, and for a good reason. I couldn't run because of arthritis and was over weight. Not exactly a bonus for any team to be honest. By the time I reached 6th grade I expected it even though it hurt every time.

I'll never forget the beginning of that school year. A number of kids who wanted to be Patrolers signed up, and then we had a meeting to receive our assignments for the year. Patrolers wore bright orange straps over their clothes and were responsible for helping kids cross the road and go safely through the halls before and after school. Not only was it an honor to be considered grown up enough to do that, but you got to come to class late and leave early to get to and from your post.

Later that week we had a meeting after school with our Patrol Leader/Teacher after she decided which post to give to those who would be allowed to participate. One by one she called out our names and that person went to the front of the room to discover their assignment for the year. I sat there in that room with about 30 kids hoping to get a good assignment, but after the first half were called, I just wanted to get anything. As the room slowly dwindled so did my hopes.

Finally, there was only one other girl left besides me. The teacher called us both up at the same time and I braced myself for the, “That's all I have for now, but perhaps if someone drops out later...” speech. As I was staring down at my toes in humiliation, there was a list thrust before my eyes. Taking hold of it I realized it was a check list with most of the other kids names on it and their post location. My teacher then told the two of us that we were to be the Patrol Leaders. Our job was to daily check every post and make sure the person was there and doing their job. If not, we were to report back to her. I had the front of the school and streets and the other girl had the main building. I was floored! I never considered myself to be worthy of this post so it had never enter my mind. I was chosen as Patrol Leader!

I was reading 1 Kings today. 1 Kings 1:10 tells us how when King David was old, his son Adonijah offered a sacrifice to the Lord in order to make himself king. All of his royal brothers were invited along with the men of Judah and the kings servants. Everyone, but “Nathan the prophet, Benaiah, the warriors, or his brother Solomon.” I have the feeling that Solomon was also left out a lot. Not only was his mother, Bathsheba, a favorite of the kings, but everyone knew of the circumstances of the their getting together. We know for a fact that he was left out in this instance. I wonder how he must have felt. Not being invited, when nearly every other person in the kingdom was.

Solomon was not chosen by the masses. He was, however, chosen by God. He became the richest and wisest king the world had know. When we find ourselves not being chosen for a particular job, event, or gathering, we as Christians must remind ourselves, that our God has chosen us. If we look to Him in everything we do, we will be in the right spot at the right time for the right reason.

Don't fret over what the world or other Christians think of you. Your God thinks highly of you and knows which tasks He desires for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment