Monday, July 20, 2009

Just Say It

Why does no one tell you there is a dried booger on your nose?

That question ran through my head the other day as I sat in a group of people and scratched my nose. No only did I discover the inevitable, but I then had to get rid of it, along with several still attached nose hairs, discretely. And men think we can't hide pain...

It started me thinking. Not only was it a great comparison for the sin that sneaks into our lives as Christians, but it was proof that God can use anything to teach me. I began to wonder why no one had told me about it. Love for your neighbor is telling them about the booger on their nose, right? It's also telling them about sin that has stuck as well. I thought of two reasons why we don't mention it.

The first reason is, some don't notice it. They may not have been paying attention to your nose/habits. Unless they take the time to really look you in the face, the time to really get to know you, they just don't see it. I realize we can't get to know everyone that well, but we need to make sure to get to know some that well. And not just the people expected, like family. Are there people you know well enough to notice when some habitual sin has crept up and latched itself on? If not, get to know some people. If you have, make sure you let them know, out of love, when they have a “nose” issue.

Second, some people are afraid to mention it. They think you, or they, will be too embarrassed. One of two things happens then. They either can't look you in the face, or they can't stop looking. That follows the pattern of sin as well. When it enters into a Christian's life, other Christians either back away or can't stop gossiping. The problem is that you look a fool to those around you and don't even realize it! This is where we need to remember that true love is at times, tough love.

So, next time you see me with either attached sin or a nose companion, please... just say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment