Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Addicted

Sometimes you don't realize how much you miss or rely something until it's not there.

The last time I picked up my Bible to read on my own – Sunday School not counted – was a week ago. In the last few days I noticed that I've been cranky and irritable. I chalked it up at first to pain because it has been worse lately, but then I realized that my attitude was more than that. I'm reading the Bible straight through in my spare time, so this morning I started back up in 1 Kings since that is where I had left off. Chapter 7 is about the details King Solomon put into the building of the Temple. You know, the part about how many pomegranates of bronze were made and such. Typically I read through these descriptions without getting much personal application or excitement.

Today, however, I felt as though a balm were being placed over a tender wound. I took a deep breath and actually felt soothed. Though I was impressed with a bowl that held 11,000 gallons (v. 26), I was impressed even more with how much God's Word holds. Even when the Words don't have a deep meaning or speak directly to me, the power of the Word is evident.
I'm happy to find I've become so dependent and addicted to God's Word that I go through withdrawal when I stay away too long. Please Lord God, don't let me stay away from Your Word that long again!

Have you found the same to be true for you too?

No comments:

Post a Comment