Friday, June 5, 2009

Vacation Bible School

I love VBS, though I think it's for different reasons than most people.

Today is the last day of it at our church this year, and I'm so sad that it's over. We do ours from 9-12 in the morning Monday – Friday, and being that it is during typical business hours, we have an amazing number of workers. Our church has been averaging a little over 200 kids each day and 100 workers. That's a lot of dedication, and that's what I love best.

I see VBS, not as just an outreach and learning time for the children, but a time where the church body shines as it should. We get to see each other everyday for nearly a week, and thus become closer. The people are happy and cheerful. Perhaps it's because we feel we can act more child-like and not put on the “church-y” demeanor we usually do. I love seeing the elderly serving snacks and refreshments, the passion of the teachers, the energy of the recreation leaders, the dedication of the music leaders, the willingness of the youth to help where needed, and the humility of our pastoral staff (I'll post some proof/blackmail later!).

I love it all- and it makes me long for more! My heart aches, and wistfully I am reminded of the young church in Acts 2:46-47. “And every day they devoted themselves to meeting together in the temple complex, and broke bread from house to house. They ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And every day the Lord added to them those who were being saved.” That sounds like a really good VBS...

Vacation Bible School, to me, is tiny glimpse of what our heavenly worship with one another to our God will be. And by the way, the theme will be Paradise!

No comments:

Post a Comment