Sunday, May 24, 2009

Peace

This morning I am sitting in an amazing little coffee shop named JoZoara that has a super-nice staff. It even reminds me of Alaska a little bit. Outside it's sunny and warm, while cool and shady inside. There is a large cup of hot tea in front of me with relaxing music playing in the background. I'm catching up on emails and blogs and have my Bible open next to me.

I'm at peace.

These are the times that it is easy to be at peace. Everything seems right in the world- At least for this moment. The problem with the world is that it seldom remains this way. Not long before Jesus' crucifixion, He warned and comforted the disciples. He knew they were going to run and hide. He said, “Look: An hour is coming, and has come, when each of you will be scattered to his own home, and you will leave Me alone. Yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace. You will have suffering in this world. Be courageous! I have conquered the world.” John 16:32-33 He had also said to them earlier in John 14:27, “Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Your heart must not be troubled or fearful.”

So what kind of peace is this? Obviously, it's not a happiness or calmness which the world considers peace. I think Biblical peace is a secure knowledge and faith in God that He will work everything out in the end. No matter what the trial, He overcomes.

It is something we have to practice daily. Pray Philippians 4:6-7 with me today, “Don't worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”

Let it is a comfort to us and a witness to this chaotic world.

www.jozoaracoffeeshop.com

1 comment:

  1. I have quoted that scripture so many times to students and parents over the last couple of years that I keep saying that I am going to make a poster of it! Today is a good day for that!

    ReplyDelete