Friday, May 29, 2009

It's All About Timing

I started thinking today about some of the people I went to junior high school with. Our school was 7th, 8th, and 9th grades, so by the time you got to 9th it was a big deal, because you had a title: Freshman.

There was one guy in many of my classes all three years. He was really sweet and we had a lot in common, so we became very good friends. By our freshman year we had both started to “like” each other and all of our other friends figured we should start “going out”. (I love these terms. They never meant much of anything, but we sure thought they did.) However, he was very shy so instead of him asking me out personally, we just mutually agreed to go steady.

It ruined everything. He was so afraid of me then that he avoided me during break and lunch time. After a week of having no idea were he was hiding, I asked if perhaps we should break-up. He agreed and soon after we were back to being the best of friends.

As the last day of school approached we became a bit sad. We were heading to rival high schools, and knew we wouldn't be seeing each other anymore. I didn't want to say much knowing how nervous he got talking about relationships, so I figured I would leave it up to him. As the last bell rang of our last class I wrote off any idea that he had really liked me much at all as a girlfriend. Walking away, I was suddenly grabbed by the arm. He wrapped me in a hug and gave me a big kiss on the lips. With that he walked away, having never said a single word as I stood there completely dazed. Talk about a junior high John Wayne riding-off-into-the-sunset moment.

I still remember it though ;-)

When I thought about it today, I realized, that is how we so often are as Christians. Yes, I know this is a bit of a stretch, but follow me here. Let's say that our lifetimes are like my 9th grade year, and God sets us up to do something specific for Him during this lifetime. We may tell Him OK, but when it comes down to actually doing it we become afraid and back off. Rather like the two of us “going out” for a while and then breaking up. The silly thing is that, we became friends again afterwards, doing the exact same things that we would have been doing even had we continued to go steady. It just didn't have that title. God will use us to accomplish some of the plans He wants of us whether we acknowledge it or not.

The final kiss as I was leaving is like us getting up the courage to accomplish the task as we have one foot in the grave. Yes, it can be checked off, but not with the faith we could have. Do you really want to say to God, “Yes, I know you wanted me to trust you fully and do “X” sooner, but, hey, at least I did it.” No thank you. I want to be able to live a life were I obey Him as soon as possible. Not when I feel comfortable doing it.

I'm not saying that God wanted that boy and I to “go out”. Far from it. I just thought it was an interesting analogy. Are you scared to do what God has asked of you, and are waiting for when your fear to subside? Don't. If God wants you to do something, HE will give you the strength to do it.

“My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness...” 1 Corinthians 12:9

No comments:

Post a Comment