Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Comfort Food- OT

Do you have favorite passages or books of the Bible? I've noticed that mine are a rather good picture of who I am and how I see God. They are also the ones I turn to when I need a little encouragement or comfort from the Lord. Here are of some of mine and the reasons why. Today we will look at the Old Testament.

Old Testament

Job 38-41 These chapters in Job are where God is talking to Job and his companions. I love to see the way in which God is describing Himself and His creation. He is so powerful and wise! I read this when I need a reminder of how mighty my God is or when I think I might be getting a little to big for my own britches and need to be humbled. (And by the way, I don't think the Leviathan is a crocodile! Chapter 41)

Ecclesiastes Not a typical favorite, but still, I am comforted by this book. I have to admit I'm a bit of what my husband calls a pessimist and what I call a realist. Either way, this book fits right in. There are times in life when everything seems “futile and a pursuit of the wind” which is stated all throughout Ecclesiastes. These are the times, when I want to just know what the point of it all is, I find myself needing to turn to the last two verses in the book. “When all has been heard, the conclusion of the matter is: fear God and keep His commands, because this is for all humanity. For God will bring every act to judgment, including every hidden thing, whether good or evil.” (Ecc. 12:13-14) I just love that.

Daniel 4 This is when King Nebuchadnezzar became very prideful and the Lord humbled him to the point of the king thinking he was an animal. He actually grazed with the cattle eating grass for years until his hair was so matted it looked like feathers and his nails became like bird's claws. After much time he said his sanity was restored to him when he looked up to heaven and praised the Most High. Nebuchadnezzar then sent a letter around the world in every language telling everyone of how he was humbled. He said, “I am pleased to tell you about the miracles and the wonders the Most High God has done for me.” (v. 2) What a wonderful reminder to tell people what the Most High has done for me, no matter how I have to expose my own weaknesses or admit where I've been.

These are a few passages which come to me often. Do you have some as well?
Tomorrow we will look at ones in the New Testament

6 comments:

  1. Job is one of the books that I rarely read and yet it is important to you and mom. I think that it is interesting how God gives us each a different part of his word to find comfort in. I need to look at Job again, I think there might be things that are important to me there as well.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Jeremiah 29:11 is a favorite verse for a lot of people, but I think it has become very cliche. I still think its a great reminder of God knowing us, but wish people would read further. 29:11-14, and for me especially verse 12. It's such a basic reminder from God. You will call upon Me, you will pray to Me, I will listen to you.

    Psalm 100. A very close friend declared these as "Joy's verses" I still don't know his exact reasoning behind it (he never shared) but I do know that at different times in my life, I find myself turning to them and garnering different bits of wisdom/comfort/love just from these 5 verses.

    Psalm 15. I think I may blog about this passage sometime... But a pastor from Harvest once did a 'dating' sermon based on this passage. They type of guy/girl you should be looking for. And since I'm still looking, I read this passage to remind myself why it's important for me to be picky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda- I sometimes think I should have been named Job-ette. Though I know I have it NOwhere near as hard as he did, I can relate well to him. Enjoy it again!

    Joy- I have verse Psalms 100:8 underlined in my Bible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! That was chapter 99....
    :)
    Tiff

    ReplyDelete