Thursday, May 14, 2009

Comfort Food-NT

Yesterday I told you of some Biblical passages which are special to me in the Old Testament. Let's continue today with the New Testament.

Matthew 7:21-23 In these few verses lie the deepest burden of my heart. Here, Jesus is telling them that not everyone who says to Him, “'Lord, Lord!' will enter the kingdom of heaven.” (v.21) I truly believe that the Lord has called me to work in the church in order to eventually reach those who do many wonderful things in the Lord's name, but never really know Him. I've begged the Lord many times to please send me to a far away country where they are complete heathens who don't even know His name. Instead, He sent me to Nashville, Tennessee- The buckle of the Bible belt! If you begin to know me for long, you will hear this verse over and over. My Lord has engraved it on my heart as a prayer and desire to reach the “churched” who don't know Him.

1 Corinthians 1 This chapter goes along with my desire to serve the church. It also helps, as does Ecclesiastes from yesterday, to keep my desire for worldly knowledge and wisdom in check. The salvation and love of God is both completely illogical and pure logic at the same time. There is no perfect explanation. It is of the Spirit. We can not expect those who do not know Christ to understand our love and devotion to Him. It's foolish to them. But remember, “...God's foolishness is wiser than human wisdom...” (v.25) Have compassion on them.

Ephesians 6:10-20 I have to admit this gets my blood pumping. It was the first passage I learned to love as a teenager, and at that time I desperately needed to know who my fight was against and what I could do about it. Who needs a super hero motto? This is perfect! A belt of truth, armor of righteousness, a shield of faith able to extinguish the flaming arrows of the evil one... and more! Whenever I read this, in my head I start hearing a good fight song and someone yelling, “Let's get ready to rumble!!!”

James I love the entire book! James says it all straight forward without mincing words. Here are a few of my favorites from each chapter in the book.
James 1:2-4 “Consider it a great joy when you encounter various trials.” Not a typically human way to look at life, but what a great outlook.
James 2:17-20 “Do you believe in God? ...So do the demons, and they know to tremble!” Salvation is more than just knowing something.
James 3:1 “Not many should become teachers...we will receive a stricter judgment.” This is a sobering reminder of our responsibility to the Word of God and of the effects of our words.
James 4:15 “Instead, you should say, 'If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.'” I am not in control and should stop acting like it.
James 5:13-14 “Is anyone among you suffering... cheerful... sick...?” God gave us other Christians to minister to and be ministered by. We need to let each other know when we need prayer or have great joy in the Lord.

Revelation This is my personal opinion, but I believe I will live to see what is described in Revelation, so this is like a Biblical GPS for me. Plus, I tear up with joy and anticipation every time I read about Christ coming in victoriously as a conquering king and how we will have a beautiful new heaven and earth. I get so excited! I want to shout with John, “Amen! Come, Lord Jesus!” Rev 22:20

There is so much in the New Testament I had a hard time narrowing it down to just these, but I hope you've enjoyed this gleaning. What are some of your favorites?

2 comments:

  1. Oh... Revelations. It's so good to know I'm not the only one who reads it with almost excitement!! I don't know that I'll be there for the end times, but reading it makes me long to be on the new earth praising God!!! *sigh*

    Matthew 6:34... gets me through when I realize that my 'stress' is really my worry.

    1 Thessalonians The whole book. Encouragingly realistic? I think thats how I see myself. I'm not really an optimist, so when I read 1 Thess. I think it's the way I would write. Here's how things are going. This is what's happening. Here's what you need to do to further the kingdom... Especially chapter 5. It talks about the armor of God, Christ coming again, encouragement in Faith. I even 'claim' 5:16-18 as my own. Truth of how to live.

    "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

    ReplyDelete