Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Organic Christianity

I shared with my Facebook friends recently that I had created a monster, and once again, it's my youngest son.

While eating an apple the other day, he asked if it was organic. When I told him no, because they weren't on sale, he told me he guessed that was OK, but organic would be healthier for him.
Ouch.

We have been trying to switch to healthier eating for the last few years, but when he recently discovered what organic food really meant, he has not let me forget the benefits and has been very interested in what is available. The only problem is the initial cost. Organic is expensive! I know that in the long run they say it's about the same as eating the regular food and then paying all the extra medical expenses, but I have to admit that the "now" aspect pinches the pocket a little too hard at times for a family of four on a very tight budget.

"Ah!" the Spirit reminded me, "Isn't that much like Christian life?"

I'm not talking about salvation, but how you live the life which you have already claimed to surrender completely to Him. To follow Him they way we should costs a lot up front. It really pinches the pockets we have budgeted for comfortable Christian existence. And much like the cost of organic food now verses medical expenses later, we can pay the price now and become healthy, vibrant, effective children of God, or we can allow ourselves to become sickly. Then we must go before a just and holy God and live eternally with the few measly crowns we have to toss at our Savior's feet.

I don't know about you, but I believe He's worthy enough for me to spend every penny I have and every thing that I am in order to try and bury Him up to His knees in crowns. The high cost of a sacrificial life is worth every cent.

2 comments:

  1. "and once again, it's my youngest son." LOL and AMEN hahaha. ;) I'm right there with you on that one.

    ReplyDelete