Friday, July 30, 2010

According To Flesh Or Spirit

Join me in getting out the steel-toed shoes today.
We're both going to need them.

For those whose lives are according to the flesh think about the things of the flesh, but those whose lives are according to the Spirit, about the things of the Spirit....Those whose lives are in the flesh are unable to please God.
Romans 8:5, 8

OK. That's tough to digest, but vague enough not to feel too guilty, right? So let's read the next set of verses defining the things of the flesh and of the Spirit:

Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, moral impurity, promiscuity, idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambitions, dissensions, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and anything similar about which I tell you in advance - as I told you before - that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 


But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Galatians 5:19-23

Please take some time on the following, as I am.
I'm going list those again. As you read it, I ask that you first define each one. Then ask the Spirit to help you be completely honest and open with yourself about whether it is something that you "think on". After that, compare what the Spirit has shown you about what you dwell on which is of the flesh and which is of the Spirit.

Of the Flesh:
Sexual Immorality
Moral Impurity
Promiscuity
Idolatry
Sorcery
Hatreds
Strife
Jealousy
Outbursts of Anger
Selfish Ambitions
Dissensions
Factions
Envy
Drunkenness
Carousing
Anything Similar

Of the Spirit:
Love
Joy
Peace
Patience
Kindness
Goodness
Faith
Gentleness
Self-Control

I say then, walk by the Spirit and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
Galatians 5:16

1 comment:

  1. Good post! My toes hurt! So often when I have been "out of sorts" with God and FINALLY turn to His Word and just open His Word, with no particular destination, just letting It open up, It will open to a scripture about those sins of the flesh and as I read, I know why I--not Him, but me--have been out of sorts! Thank you Jesus for Grace and Forgiveness! Help me to practice being fruitful today and to keep me away from the flesh!

    ReplyDelete