Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Blessed Day

I started to write a blog today about our adventures in painting, but realized I would have been fussing a little too much. Sometimes it's better to cool off for a while and let your "paint" dry...

Instead, I will tell you how blessed I was yesterday! It's been almost 4 years since I started teaching my first Bible study class in the fall of 2006. Though I had 3 people sign up, there was only one dear lady who showed up every night. As frustrated as I was though, God knew I couldn't have handled any more. 

Yesterday in my Bible study group there were 17, with a few missing. God is so good! How I have grown to love these women as we spend time diving into God's precious Word together. I wouldn't miss it for the world. What excites me greatly is that we have ladies from all ages, churches, and walks of life. Who, but our God, could bring such a group together in love?

After an amazing lesson, where I believe they encouraged me more than I could them, I got to have coffee with a girl I would have to call my best friend. We're not able to get together very often, but have known each other since childhood. It's one of those comfortable relationships that has stood the test of time and is a precious gift from God where we encourage and sharpen each other. She gives me glimpses of a vivid spiritual walk that makes me jealous (In a good way!) for one of my own. That's a rare treasure! To top it all off, I splurged on an Almond Joy Latte with real whipped cream. Yummy food always makes it better...

At church later that evening, the choir talked about the Tenebrae service we had on Good Friday. It was a special time where we participated in the Lord's supper, read Scripture, and sang praises to Jesus in remembrance of His great sacrifice, and then all left the darkened building in silence as the Christ candle was taken away. We were all blown away by depth of the Spirit's presence there and spent most of last night discussing it and sharing in the blessings we received from it. Not only had that service stood out, but it made the anticipation for Easter Sunday all that much more vivid. I was truly blessed.

As I started thinking about it, days like yesterday seem treasured and rare. Why is that? I know that even when hard times come, God wants me to expect Him in mighty ways. That is not so difficult for the big stuff, but what about everyday life? Why not expect it there too? We should. I'm not talking about winning the lottery or landing the new dream job, but in the every day things we can be blessed greatly by seeing God's hand, or fingerprint, there. He is always there. We just need to really look.

Expect to be blessed today, and it will happen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment