Saturday, March 6, 2010

Pitty Party For One, Please...

I admit it. I had a pitty party last night. And though I know you are tired of hearing about it, I'm even more tired of dealing with it: My food issues.

I wasn't mad at God, or even questioning why He was allowing it, I just needed to vent to Him for a bit. I told Him - among other things - that yes, I was grateful that I had more than just manna to eat, but that none of those Israelite mothers had to cook all those delicacies for their family three meals a day while they had to resist. As I sat there refusing to eat anything while my family chowed down on fried hot dogs and french fries, I almost gave in. I almost ate them both not caring the horrid consequences. That combination didn't hold the possibility of hospitalization....most likely. I was just about willing to risk it, but I didn't.

So that's when God finally stepped in. As Kevin was cleaning up the dishes - bless that man - I sat down to read my Bible. I've been reading through a one year reading Bible that breaks it up so that every day you read some Old Testament, Psalms, Proverbs, and New Testament. Since I have been reading a day's worth whenever I get a chance, I'm a little ahead and was reading March 15th. Guess what it was about? Food. Let me give you an overview of what God pointed out to me. I'll be skipping through Numbers 11 which tells about the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt:

Contemptible people among them had a strong craving for other food. The Israelites cried again and said, "Who will feed us meat? We remember the free fish we ate in Egypt, along with the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions, and garlic. But now our appetite is gone; there is nothing to look at but this manna!"....


Moses heard the people, family after family, crying at the entrance of their tents. The Lord was very angry; Moses was also provoked....


The Lord answered Moses,..... "Tell the people: Purify yourselves in readiness for tomorrow, and you will eat meat because you cried before the Lord: 'Who will feed us meat? We really had it good in Egypt.' The Lord will give you meat and you will eat. You will eat not for one day, or for two days, or five days, or 10 days, or 20 days, but for a whole month - until it comes out of your nostrils and becomes nauseating to you - because you have rejected the Lord, who is among you, and cried to Him: 'Why did we ever leave Egypt?' But Moses replied, "I'm in the middle of a people with 600,000 foot soldiers, yet You say, 'I will give them meat and they will eat for a month.'....


The Lord answered Moses, "Is the Lord's power limited? You will see whether or not what I have promised will happen to you."....


A wind sent by the Lord came up and blew quail in from the sea; it dropped them at the camp all around, three feet off the ground, about a day's journey in every direction. The people were up all that day and night and all the next day gathering the quail - the one who took the least gathered 33 bushels - and they spread them out all around the camp. While the meat was still between their teeth, before it was chewed, the Lord's anger burned against the people, and the Lord struck them with a very severe plague. So they named that place Kibrith-hattaavah, because there they buried the people who had craved the meat.
Numbers 11:4-6, 10, 18-21, 23, 31-34


You know what the very next verse I was to read?
Taste and see that the Lord is good. How happy is the man who takes refuge in Him!
Psalm 34:8

OK, God. I got it, again. Thank You for Your patience and Your promises!

Pitty party is over. Check, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment