Monday, March 1, 2010

Bit or Bareback?

Psalms is one of those books I use to enjoy once in a blue moon, but seldom turned to with excitement. I'm not really sure why. But the Lord has changed that in the last few months. I have come to appreciate it so much more. The Scripture I read this morning describes well the season of life I'm in.

I will instruct you and show you the way you should go; 
with My eye on you, I will give counsel.
Do not be like a horse or mule,
without understanding,
that must be controlled with a bit and bridle,
or else it will not come near you.
Psalm 32:8-9


Years ago when I was in the 6th grade, I took horseback riding lessons. I got to the point where I was learning to ride bareback and control the animal with the pressure of my knees. I absolutely loved the freedom of riding that way and I believe my Morgan horse did too.

As I read this Scripture in Psalm, I realized that the Lord is also training me to respond to the gentle nudging He gives me in life. It's a long and difficult training process, but well worth it in the end. And oh, the extra freedom! He desires us to run to Him without having to be pulled to Him by the bit (trial) placed in our mouth. Then, as that becomes second nature, He merely needs to instruct us the way to go. This is not to say we won't face trails anymore, but that the reasoning behind them changes from discipline to allowing us to show off His glory immediately.

Once we have learned to trust Him fully and follow Him commands, we need only to look at Him and discern His instruction for us. That is what I long for. That is the process that I am in right now. Training not to be "without understanding".

No comments:

Post a Comment