Sunday, February 28, 2010

Peanuts and Sin

I love how God can remind you of His Holiness in the mundane things of life.

The other day I was cleaning up in the kitchen and noticed a small Tupperware with a few leftover pieces of popcorn and a handful of peanuts from the kid's snack the day before. It was enough I didn't want to waste them by throwing it away so I asked my husband Kevin if he would finish it off so I could wash the container. Besides, I call him my human garbage disposal for a reason.

After eating it he started joking with me that I had given those to him on purpose so he couldn't kiss me since I'm so allergic to peanuts. I told him I had never thought of that and would make sure to remember that little trick for next time, but he just laughed and said, “That's what they make toothpaste and mouthwash for!”

That's when I started thinking. Sin can not dwell before God, rather like I can't have peanuts too close to me. It separates us from a close fellowship with Him just like peanuts do between my husband and I. But we have available to us some toothpaste and mouthwash to remedy the situation: Grace and forgiveness! Remember though, just because we purchased it and it sits in our house does not mean we are actively using it. We must “brush” regularly.

Take some time today to brush (remember the grace given to us and thank Him for it), rinse (ask for forgiveness and forgive those who have hurt us), and then come into a close fellowship with the Father.

2 comments:

  1. As I travel the highways I spend a lot of time with the Lord--no better companion, right. I also spend a lot of time "brushing and rinsing" as you put it. That is one reason that I really do like to take those road trips with just the Lord as my companion! We have some great times and I always learn a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! I LOVE this analogy! Talk about seeing God in everyday situations!

    Kim K

    ReplyDelete