Monday, January 18, 2010

Suffering

I hate to say this because I know it's going to come back to bite me - it always does - but, I don't think we tend to recognize the value of suffering. Most of us believe that if we are suffering it needs to be fixed and over with as quickly as possible, and if it isn't, then something is really wrong. What do I mean by that? Really wrong as in believing we are horrible people who have done a heinous and unforgivable sin, that God doesn't care/ listen to us, or that He doesn't really exist at all.

I was reading a Davidic Psalm the other day about the intense suffering of this man after God's own heart. (Acts 13:22) David does not have a quick hissy-fit one night nor does he question God's righteousness and love. He is in turmoil night after night, but trusts in God to take care of him.

I am weary from my groaning; 
with my tears I dampen my pillow and drench my bed every night.
My eyes are swollen from grief; 
they grow old because of all my enemies.


Depart from me, all evildoers, 
for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my plea for help; 
the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies will be ashamed and shake with terror; 
they will turn back and suddenly be disgraced.
Psalm 6:6-10

Good can be had from suffering.

Look at Job. He went through intense pain and suffering without ever knowing why. What was the point of it? To prove to those around him, including Satan, that Job was "...a man of perfect integrity, who fears God and turns away from evil." (Job 2:3)

Paul was shown to suffer with a presumably life-long physical pain. 2 Corinthians 12:7-8 "...Therefore, so that I would not exalt myself, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to torment me so that I would not exalt myself. Concerning this, I pleaded with the Lord three times to take it away from me."

So why did God allow a messenger of Satan to follow around and torment His outspoken evangelist? Continue on in verses 9-10 "But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.' Therefore, I will most gladly boast all the more about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may reside in me. So because of Christ, I am pleased in weaknesses, in insults, in catastrophes, in persecutions, and in pressures. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Jesus Christ also suffered greatly for us! Acts 17:2-3 tells us concerning the Jewish synagogue that, "As usual, Paul went with them, and on three Sabbath days reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and showing that the Messiah had to suffer and rise from the dead, and saying: 'This is the Messiah, Jesus, whom I am proclaiming to you.'"

If our Savior considers suffering worthy, then how can we not? In fact, we are expected to suffer. "For it has been given to you on Christ's behalf not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for Him" Philippians 1:29

To be honest, none of this really makes sense to us. Yet, that's the point of faith: If it did make sense, we would be following our logic, but it doesn't- so we must follow God.

"For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption, by whom we cry out 'Abba, Father!' The Spirit Himself testifies together with our spirit that we are God's children, and if children, also heirs - heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ - seeing that we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him. For we consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is going to be revelaed to us."  Romans 8:15-18

Amen and Amen!!

1 comment:

  1. The movie "The Song of Bernadette" is a great movie about suffering. It is the (based on) true story of the discovery of the fountain at Lourdes and of Saint Bernadette. It is obviously Catholic. It shows suffering for God as a blessing and how different people deal with suffering. It is a fabulous movie.

    ReplyDelete