Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sometimes In Life You Just Have To Bop-It

This year for Christmas we got the kids the game Bop-It. The goal is to quickly follow the directions that it gives concerning the different buttons and knobs that are sticking out of the hand held game. On the first level you are told to either bop it, twist it, pull it, or shout it. If you can keep up for 100 turns then you open up the next level: Master. Here, you still have the same commands as before, but they also add the sound effects from each task. So you might either be given the command, "Bop it" or hear a drum, and they both mean to do the same thing.

Now, if you can keep that up for another 100 turns, you open the final level: Expert. This level has the same commands as the previous two level, but adds the color for the button or knob. So you can be told to "Bop it", hear a drum, or be told "White", and they all mean to hit the same button. And yes, the goal is to get 100 on that level as well. Confusing, yet addicting.

Last night, after becoming overwhelmed with the challenges of  last week, I picked up the game to try a single round. I've never been able to get 100 on the expert level, but figured why not take another whack at it? Within the first 10 commands I could tell my brain and hands weren't connecting with each other, so in my frustration I said to God, "See? This is what everything has been feeling like. What am I suppose to do?"

A peace then came over me which seemed to say, "Trust Me that I can do anything. Even when you are getting it and don't seem to be working right. What you're suppose to do is just keep going."

Now, I wasn't throwing my fleece out, but jokingly said, "Well fine. If I make to 100 this time I know You were talking to me!"

I made it to 100.

Usually it takes all my concentration to score high. I even face away from any movement or music to place my full attention on the game. There was now way that I could do that while having a conversation with God at the same time. But I did. Because He did.

As soon as I put it down I thought, "Isn't that so like life?" Here we are getting all kinds of directions and information to accomplish the tasks set before us. We'll give our full attention to the task, but will so often slip up and fail. Don't beat yourself up for it- we're human! That's what it is to have a sinful nature.

What we are to do as Christians is rely on the power of the Spirit that is freely given to us. (Acts 1:8) We are never called to understand how we are doing what we are doing for Christ, we are just called to do it. We are to "...walk by faith, not by sight." (2 Corinthians 5:7)  For isn't it comforting to know that "...God's foolishness is wiser than human wisdom, and God's weakness is stronger than human strength." (1 Corinthians 1:25)

No comments:

Post a Comment