Wednesday, January 27, 2010

How Do We Hear God?

My youngest  and I had an interesting conversation the other night while putting him to bed. He asked me if it would be OK to take two stuffed animals to class instead of just one while learning about how God created the animals, so I told him to pray about it and see what God says. He then asked me the question we all would love the exact answer for: How do I hear God and know what He's saying?

I told him that the first, and best way, is by seeing if it is in the Bible. Many of our questions can be answered if we search throughout the entire Bible with a thorough concordance, a detailed topical reference, and decent cross referencing. (Don't worry- I just told my six year old to look all through the Bible. I'll save the rest of that for when he's 12...)

However, there are many other things that are not specifically mentioned in there. Which coffee shop should I go to today? Which of my friends needs encouraging most? Should I help with the children's choir or participate in adult choir?  Which Beth Moore study should I do next....? Some things have to be discerned, and that concept can be intimidating. If it isn't, remember: You are made of sinful flesh and must stand before the Righteous and  Holy God. A little fear and trembling is good for the soul.

So how do we discern? First, go back to the best way: You must be in the Word. Even if the answer is not there, Jesus - the Word made flesh (John 1:14), must be fresh in our hearts and mind. You also must develop your line of communication with Him. That means prayer. Not the wish-list, vending machine with happy pills, kinds of prayer, but honest talking and listening. The more you listen, the better you get at hearing. Remember 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says, "Pray constantly." It is possible, but it takes practice and discipline.

Now comes the hardest thing of all: Just have faith and step out. If you are in the Word and listening to God with the best of your ability, trust Him that He won't let you go astray. Because He won't. Give Him permission to do whatever it takes to stop you from straying from His will, and be honest with Him when your confused. He already knows.

If you've done all the above and still haven't felt that "special feeling", just trust Him! Because most of the time we won't. Oh, we will have a peace, but don't expect the goose-bumpy stuff as the only affirmation. Remember, "We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28) So let's act like we truly believe that.

So did God tell my son he could bring two stuffed animals? There wasn't a yes or a no...

There was a fever.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Well said, Tiffany. We also had a fever at our house that answered a lot of burning questions. :)

    I needed those reminders today--about being in the word AND praying without ceasing.

    Kim K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he is feeling better soon. Cliff is home sick today too.

    There is a group of Aboriginals in Australia that have a unique view of prayer (they just need to meet Jesus). They are constantly talking to God, but when they pray they are silent and listen for what He has to say. When I read this it made a lot of sense to me. Now my quiet time is just that. I talk to God continually and try to listen to Him as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. When I accepted Christ all those years ago, I began an active prayer life...and then one day realized that I was talking TO God and not WITH Him. That has made a lot of difference for me. Sometime, I still get off track and find myself praying the wrong things, but I find that He is VERY patient with me and draws me back. One time I had been praying for something, not something for me, but for a loved one, and then suddenly one Sunday our pastor read the scripture and then stated that God had told him to preach something else...yep, the message was about prayer. I spent the next week talking with Him and asking Him to teach again how to pray--and again how to listen. He did! My prayer for that situation changed and He blessed!

    Tell the six year old that God speaks in many ways, just to be alert!

    ReplyDelete