Friday, December 18, 2009

Julie & Julia.... & Me?

After being told by several people that I needed to see it, I watched the movie Julie & Julia. I think I really liked it!

OK, first positive point is that it didn't have a fairy-tale ending. I was really afraid that the two would meet and become the best of friends till Julia's death. (Which, by the way, I had no idea if she was even still alive. But Hollywood has a way of making the impossible happen, even in an otherwise true story.) Yet, that was not the case. I like that. It's more real.

Negative point number one: Food. God's sense of humor just never ceases.
After watching the movie and staring longingly at my pantry, I just about pulled out every single thing and place it either in the "I can eat" or the "I can eat and die" pile. Grrr. Perhaps I can start a supplementary food contest blog where I give you aspiring cooks a list/picture of the very limited things I can eat and have you figure out a recipe for me.

OK. I've steamed my lobster. Next.

That's the other thing I really enjoyed. Julie just looses it sometimes, and as sadistic as it sounds, we all need to know that. I believe that's why the Bible is filled with so many people who fail. We need the encouragement that if they can make it, we can make it. The funny thing is that as I watched the movie, I related so well with Julie's different milestones: The good, the bad, and the ugly. Why? Because Christian or not, male or female, we are all still human, and God created us to learn and relate to one another. So look around and learn!

Over all, Julie & Julia inspired me. (I'll have to make it part of my library for when serving a pity party.)
1.  Just because you feel you have nothing to say doesn't mean you have nothing to say.
2.  Even if she never meets Julia and I impact only one person's walk with Christ, it's worth it.
3.  All the time she spent cooking made me feel better about all the time I spend writing and researching.
Perhaps that's the key. Passion.

I just wish the Bread of Life came with a little Brie...

No comments:

Post a Comment